Amyloidosis‏

In 2007 my father, Dennis Blake, was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, Amyloidosis. After years of battling the disease, the correct diagnosis was finally given less then a week before he passed. Amyloidosis is a rare blood disease that can affect one or more organs when abnormal deposits of the amyloid protein are produced. It is debilitating and life threatening. The disease meant nothing to my family weeks before we first heard the word, and then it defined the rest of our lives. It is only in the last 25 years that physicians have started to understand the disease. I have been hiking the Appalachian trail for a little more then a month. Hiking 8 to 12 hours a day, I have had plenty of time to think of my father and what kind of differences I could make in his name. I would love to make this epic adventure about more then myself. The amyloidosis foundation's mission is to increase education and awareness in hopes that it will lead to earlier diagnosis and improved treatment. My goal is to raise $1,000 in the name of my father. I have roughly 200 miles left. Just one penny per mile adds up to $20 when I complete the trail of 2,000 miles. If anybody would like to donate a small amount per every mile I complete, then I am confident that I can reach my goal. Here are the directions and the page link for the donations: Check "In memory of" and add my father's name "Dennis Blake"

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Wolf Burger Challenge

Along the trail there have been many challenges. Huge mountains, bad weather, and sore bones just to name a few. Then there are the food challenges. The Half Gallon Challenge and a pizza pie a day in PA. I issued myself a challenge after my first stop in Georgia. I vowed to eat a cheeseburger in every town that I stopped in. Thus far I have been a champion! When I arrived in Stratton ME I was informed of the Wolf Burger Challenge. Any self-respecting cheeseburger aficionado couldn't turn down this opportunity. So I stepped up to the plate and placed my order. My challenge: consume 3 wolf burgers and three orders of fries in under an hour. The wolf burger is no joke. A half pound burger topped with a sausage patty, 4 pieces of hickory smoked bacon, mushrooms and cheese. With the 3 full plates laid in front of me, the challenge was on! 1st burger, no problem. Second burger, getting full. 20 minutes in...third burger is uncomfortable. With a few bites remaining in the third I began housing the fries and mixing in bites of the burger. 1st plate of fries done with 25 mins to go....very uncomfortable at this point. I began dipping fries in water. Second plate of fries done with under 15 mins left. Every bite becomes extremely difficult. Fighting the urge to lose my dinner now. Blue, Wolfpack, and Humpty Dumpty are cheering me on and playing inspiring music on the jukebox. 3 mins left and only scraps left to clean up. I bite into a small piece of roll with the last remaining mushroom clinging to the bottom and try to swallow....my body says no... My feet say run....out the door....and there, just outside I lose my bid to become the 5th person to complete the Wolf Burger Challenge.....

No comments:

Post a Comment