Amyloidosis‏

In 2007 my father, Dennis Blake, was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, Amyloidosis. After years of battling the disease, the correct diagnosis was finally given less then a week before he passed. Amyloidosis is a rare blood disease that can affect one or more organs when abnormal deposits of the amyloid protein are produced. It is debilitating and life threatening. The disease meant nothing to my family weeks before we first heard the word, and then it defined the rest of our lives. It is only in the last 25 years that physicians have started to understand the disease. I have been hiking the Appalachian trail for a little more then a month. Hiking 8 to 12 hours a day, I have had plenty of time to think of my father and what kind of differences I could make in his name. I would love to make this epic adventure about more then myself. The amyloidosis foundation's mission is to increase education and awareness in hopes that it will lead to earlier diagnosis and improved treatment. My goal is to raise $1,000 in the name of my father. I have roughly 200 miles left. Just one penny per mile adds up to $20 when I complete the trail of 2,000 miles. If anybody would like to donate a small amount per every mile I complete, then I am confident that I can reach my goal. Here are the directions and the page link for the donations: Check "In memory of" and add my father's name "Dennis Blake"

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Bad day...

Less then two weeks from the completion of my trip Blue, Squirrel, wolfpack and I had a first hand experience of a life lost. While hiking around Flagstaff lake Friday morning squirrel was just out of sight when a man fell to the ground in front of him. Blue and squirrel were on him in less then 30 seconds. They found a man in his 50s lying face down just off the trail. Wolfpack dialed 911 and Blue checked his vitals. No less then a minute after arriving Blue watched as the man took his last breath. Blue started chest compressions and I rotated with him. We were all silent. Everyone hoping to see signs of life. There were none. Less then a mile from Long Falls Dam rd. it still took paramedics over an hour to arrive. There was no question that the man was gone. We filled out witness reports, debated the cause of death, wondered if he had a family and then had to walk away. Never did we think we would watch a mans life slip away that morning. It was disturbing to say the least. As we hiked on that day I think we all wished we could have done something more.
As we put miles behind us, gradually we began to get to know "Open Mike." He was a south bounder (started from Katadin, heading to Georgia) and as we reached shelters he stayed at we read his log entries. Each entry was upbeat and positive. He finished one entry with, "it's a great day to be alive." We met many people who camped with him and even shared beers with him. Everyone talked of his positive attitude and friendly nature. It became clear to us that Mike died doing what he loved and took no day for granted. I think he reminded us of ourselves and however cliche it is, the fragility of life.

3 comments:

  1. What an experience and not one you would like to encounter. I'm sure his family will have comfort knowing he died doing what he loved and that there were people like you, Squirrel, Blue and Wolf there with him when he passed and who tried their best to help him. God Bless. Love You, Charli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only just learned that this was posted here. The man in question was a friend of mine named Michael Guerette, and as you'll see in what I posted on my blog last week at http://themartinreport.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/tis-better-to-have-loved-and-lost-rip-michael-guerette/, he was a very much-loved figure here in New York City and on Fire Island. Though his loss will always be painful, I'm somewhat gratified to know that he wasn't alone at the end, and I thank you all for doing your very best in his final moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to tell you how impressed I am with your quick reactions, and with the care, time, and attention you took to help Michael out. To those of us who knew him, and knew that he was on his own up there, knowing that people were around trying to help him in his final minutes means a lot. It must have been a harrowing experience for all of you, but I'm glad you got to know the nice guy Michael was by anecdote and journal entries as you went along.

    Peter McKie

    ReplyDelete