Amyloidosis‏

In 2007 my father, Dennis Blake, was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, Amyloidosis. After years of battling the disease, the correct diagnosis was finally given less then a week before he passed. Amyloidosis is a rare blood disease that can affect one or more organs when abnormal deposits of the amyloid protein are produced. It is debilitating and life threatening. The disease meant nothing to my family weeks before we first heard the word, and then it defined the rest of our lives. It is only in the last 25 years that physicians have started to understand the disease. I have been hiking the Appalachian trail for a little more then a month. Hiking 8 to 12 hours a day, I have had plenty of time to think of my father and what kind of differences I could make in his name. I would love to make this epic adventure about more then myself. The amyloidosis foundation's mission is to increase education and awareness in hopes that it will lead to earlier diagnosis and improved treatment. My goal is to raise $1,000 in the name of my father. I have roughly 200 miles left. Just one penny per mile adds up to $20 when I complete the trail of 2,000 miles. If anybody would like to donate a small amount per every mile I complete, then I am confident that I can reach my goal. Here are the directions and the page link for the donations: Check "In memory of" and add my father's name "Dennis Blake"

Monday, August 8, 2011

Southern Maine

Bluegrass, Squirrel, Wolfpack and I crossed into Maine on Friday. The final state! I wish I could say the hiking got easier but like the last 200 miles, more tough days.
It's been difficult to estimate our distance in these hills. Most mountains have sections requiring hand over hand scrambling up or down near vertical rock faces. At one time is was easy to assume that I could average over two miles an hour thru moderate terrains. Now, thru certain sections we average 1/4 mile an hour. Ever since northern Vermont the mountains have been extremely difficult. After finishing the White Mts. I was under the impression things would get a little easier....I was wrong. The Northern Maine terrain requires slow and deliberate moves. A 16 mile day from Gentian Pond Shelter, up Mt. Success, across the Maine border, up Goose Eye West and East Peak, down into the Mahoosuc Notch, straight up Mahoosic Arm, then a night hike to the peak of Old Speck Mt. took us 13 1/2 hours.
The Mahoosuc Notch is regarded as the "toughest or most fun mile" on the A.T. I wouldn't agree with either statement but it was interesting trekking thru the boulder strewn notch with vertical walls rising a thousand feet on either side. We hopped from rock to boulder, squeezed thru tight openings and crawled underneath gigantic rocks. As we carefully made our way thru the boulder field we felt the cold air escaping from caves below. We heard a stream running underneath us but couldn't see it. I found sheets of ice still holding strong in the deeper holes.
We made camp well after dark that night. We were rewarded with rare views from Old Spec the next morning. After waking up on the peak, the sun burnt thru the cloud resting over us revealing a blanket of clouds beneath us, covering all the lower peaks.
As always, the days on the trail are long and difficult but always rewarding and beautiful. Our days are numbered though. With over 1900 miles completed we have 16 days until projected summit of Katahdin.

2 comments:

  1. what a beautiful picture, said it a million times "wish i was there.."keep the faith & be safe, love u son

    ReplyDelete