Amyloidosis‏

In 2007 my father, Dennis Blake, was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, Amyloidosis. After years of battling the disease, the correct diagnosis was finally given less then a week before he passed. Amyloidosis is a rare blood disease that can affect one or more organs when abnormal deposits of the amyloid protein are produced. It is debilitating and life threatening. The disease meant nothing to my family weeks before we first heard the word, and then it defined the rest of our lives. It is only in the last 25 years that physicians have started to understand the disease. I have been hiking the Appalachian trail for a little more then a month. Hiking 8 to 12 hours a day, I have had plenty of time to think of my father and what kind of differences I could make in his name. I would love to make this epic adventure about more then myself. The amyloidosis foundation's mission is to increase education and awareness in hopes that it will lead to earlier diagnosis and improved treatment. My goal is to raise $1,000 in the name of my father. I have roughly 200 miles left. Just one penny per mile adds up to $20 when I complete the trail of 2,000 miles. If anybody would like to donate a small amount per every mile I complete, then I am confident that I can reach my goal. Here are the directions and the page link for the donations: Check "In memory of" and add my father's name "Dennis Blake"

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dragons Tooth

Tough climb up "Dragons Tooth" yesterday. 1400 foot mt. appeared to be gradual climb on the profile map but it was a different story once I started the climb. Hiking straight up a narrow ridge across huge boulders and thru tight squeezes. Up and down we trudged. We've been hiking with Lost n Found, The Conversation, Chopper, and there two dogs. Eloise, an Australian Shepard and Lucy, a sweet pit bull. The dogs had trouble in some spots and needed a little help. Making our way to the summit there were many views from rocky outcroppings. The culminating 60 foot rock spires on top were amazing. Blue, Saber and I risked our lives climbing to the point of dragons tooth but it was well worth the view. The climb down was no easier, rock scrambling down 2 1/2 miles. We came to a road crossing late in the afternoon and decided to walk a 1/2 mile to a country store for a couple beers to enjoy at camp. As we exited the store our spirits were crushed. Thunder and lighting had moved in. As a steady rain began to fall the helpful store clerk informed us about the bad weather moving in and a cheap hostel just down the road. Joe Mitchell, owner of Four Pines Hostel, pulled up to the store as a heavy rain began to fall. 8 hikers and 2 dogs piled in the back of his truck when hail began to fall. We were pelted with rain and dime sized hail as we curved down the winding back roads of Va. Most of us were laughing uncontrollably despite the pain. Sabertooth got the worst of it. He was leaned against the back tailgate looking forward. Using his hands as a shield he tried in vain to block the hail. We were all smiling and laughing as we piled into the hostel.

No day out here is ever the same. We never thought our day would end at an Alpaca farm drinking fine beer and grilling hotdogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment