Amyloidosis‏

In 2007 my father, Dennis Blake, was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, Amyloidosis. After years of battling the disease, the correct diagnosis was finally given less then a week before he passed. Amyloidosis is a rare blood disease that can affect one or more organs when abnormal deposits of the amyloid protein are produced. It is debilitating and life threatening. The disease meant nothing to my family weeks before we first heard the word, and then it defined the rest of our lives. It is only in the last 25 years that physicians have started to understand the disease. I have been hiking the Appalachian trail for a little more then a month. Hiking 8 to 12 hours a day, I have had plenty of time to think of my father and what kind of differences I could make in his name. I would love to make this epic adventure about more then myself. The amyloidosis foundation's mission is to increase education and awareness in hopes that it will lead to earlier diagnosis and improved treatment. My goal is to raise $1,000 in the name of my father. I have roughly 200 miles left. Just one penny per mile adds up to $20 when I complete the trail of 2,000 miles. If anybody would like to donate a small amount per every mile I complete, then I am confident that I can reach my goal. Here are the directions and the page link for the donations: Check "In memory of" and add my father's name "Dennis Blake"

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Daleville to Waynesboro Va

10 days after getting back on the trail from the vacation in Fred Vegas Blue, Squirrel, Saber, and I are feeling great. Our legs enjoyed the rest and for the most part are feeling good. The daily aches and pains are slowly creeping back into existence but we all agree the long break helped alot. We have been making good miles, averaging 15 a day. The hiking has been great. Rhodadendrums and mountain laurel are blooming everywhere. Thousands of spring peepers (frogs) provide us with music as we fall asleep every night. The heat and humidity haven't gone unnoticed. We have taken advantage of a couple swimming holes but the spring fed streams are still freezing.
54 miles out of Daleville we crossed the James river foot bridge saturday afternoon and hitched into Glasgow for resupply. We camped just outside of town. Glasgow's bluegrass festival was in progress just thru the woods and we got to enjoy some music as we sat around the fire. I'm not sure how the closing act got signed on but we all agreed it sounded like karaoke night in Glasgow.
Sunday morning we did laundry and enjoyed microwavable burritos and cheeseburgers from the local country store. Then, it was out to the road to stick out a thumb. After 15 mins I saw a big r.v. coming down the road. We all joked that this was the ride we had been looking for. As the vehicle rode past I locked eyes with a familiar face. "That was my grandad!" I dismissed it at first but when the R.V. pulled over I knew my eyes weren't deceiving me. Call it luck, call it coincidence, a sign from god, whatever way you put it... it was great to see there familiar faces. Grandad and Nanny were just as surprised to see me as I was them. They didn't get a chance to meet my hiking buddies while we were home. Within seconds of being in the vehicle Nanny offered us some of her famous chocolate peanut butter eggs. I couldn't believe how lucky I was. A 10 min ride back to the trailhead, a quick goodbye and we were back on the trail with the best hitchhiking story on the appalacian trail.
15 miles out of Glasgow we made camp by a small pond and I set up my brand new hammock. It's lightweight, comfortable and not nearly as water proof as my tent was. A huge thunderstorm hit just after dark and water leeched in near my head and feet. I still managed a good nights sleep and I think I figured out the water problem.
The next few days we did big miles and had good luck. Camped in a meadow Tuesday night some former thru hikers brought BBQ sandwiches and LOTS of beer for us hikers. Theres nothing like a cold Sam Adams after a long day of hiking. Bluegrass was making his way to his tent that night when he spotted 2 coyotes roaming around. I just missed them! I cowboy camped (no tent) that night underneath a sky full of stars. Great night.
The next couple of days we woke early and hiked late. We arrived well after dark Wednesday at the Paul Wolf shelter and slept a couple hours before walking a short 6 miles into waynesboro the next morning.
It was a quick hitchhike into town. I went straight to the Rockfish Gap Outfitters to pick up my new boots. My Salomon boots that I've been wearing since springer mountain, 800 miles ago, are completely worn out. My feet will appreciate the fresh new boots. The last two weeks I've had to duct tape my feet to avoid blisters. Salomon sent me a free pair because I'm an A.T. thru hiker.
Tonight we are camped along the South River on the edge of town, praying the thunderstorms miss us. Tomorrow we enter the Shenandoah National Park. Basically my back yard, I've been looking forward to this section. 100 miles of moderate terrain and filled with wildlife. The miles are going fast now and I should be out of Va in less then two weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your posts read like a good book, I love hearing the stories, you are such a good writer :) sorry we can't come meet u while ur in Va but I will be thinking of you while I'm sipping on a fruity cocktail in the middle of the ocean ;) glad u got new boots and that they were free?! Keep up the good work, I miss and love u!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete