Amyloidosis‏

In 2007 my father, Dennis Blake, was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, Amyloidosis. After years of battling the disease, the correct diagnosis was finally given less then a week before he passed. Amyloidosis is a rare blood disease that can affect one or more organs when abnormal deposits of the amyloid protein are produced. It is debilitating and life threatening. The disease meant nothing to my family weeks before we first heard the word, and then it defined the rest of our lives. It is only in the last 25 years that physicians have started to understand the disease. I have been hiking the Appalachian trail for a little more then a month. Hiking 8 to 12 hours a day, I have had plenty of time to think of my father and what kind of differences I could make in his name. I would love to make this epic adventure about more then myself. The amyloidosis foundation's mission is to increase education and awareness in hopes that it will lead to earlier diagnosis and improved treatment. My goal is to raise $1,000 in the name of my father. I have roughly 200 miles left. Just one penny per mile adds up to $20 when I complete the trail of 2,000 miles. If anybody would like to donate a small amount per every mile I complete, then I am confident that I can reach my goal. Here are the directions and the page link for the donations: Check "In memory of" and add my father's name "Dennis Blake"

Friday, April 8, 2011

Hotsprings NC!

Walked into Hot Springs  yesterday afternoon. A small town where the mullet is still all the rage and everything is locked up tight by 5. Rented a room at the Hot springs Resort, washed cloths and consumed copious amounts of red meat at the Country Diner.
We hiked 33 miles in two days and our legs are feeling the usual stiffness. This we are getting used to. We have finally recieved our "trail legs" as they are referred to. There is a noticeable difference in the speed we move up and down mountains now. I would compare our legs to that of a the Nepalese Mountain Goat, we are strong and agile. But once we stop for the day, we are immediately transformed into old men. An hour after our legs have cooled down, we are hobbling around camp like we should be using a cane.
Todays "zero" day is much needed for our legs to do some healing. "Boot Camp" is officially over. We have hiked some of the toughest terrain we will see until New Hampshire and Maine. Statistics say 25% have dropped off the trail already....so it appears were doing something right. I weighed in at the outfitters scale this morning, lost 12 pounds since leaving Va. That's amazing considering everything I eat during the day is chosen because it has the MOST calories possible.
The "Squirrel Flu," as we have named it, is running rampant thru our group. Squirrel passed it to me, now Sabretooth and Bluegrass are showing symptoms. The symptoms include excess mucus and cough. One useful skill Ive picked up on the trail, blowing "snot rockets" at full hiking speed. This is not just a handy skill, it is essential to keep a good pace!
And now its time to check out the local tavern....wish us luck! Resupply in 5 days in Elaine, TN. 67 miles

2 comments:

  1. Matt, you are going all the way! Sorry we missed your call today. We need to know what you need. Call Charli's cell phone and leave us a message. Maine or bust!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atta Boy!!! Great pics of the trail, what a sunset! Glad to hear you got to eat some meat cause you can't get to maine w/o that protein! You guys sound like you're really gettin it out there and hope I hope that "Squirrel Flu" doesn't get the best of anybody. Way to keep pushin! Me and Meg wish you guys the best! Just a reminder for Maine(b/c i know you guys will go the distance) Meg has tons of family all over Maine who would be glad to put you guys up if you need some rest when you get there.

    -Bishop

    ReplyDelete