Amyloidosis‏

In 2007 my father, Dennis Blake, was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, Amyloidosis. After years of battling the disease, the correct diagnosis was finally given less then a week before he passed. Amyloidosis is a rare blood disease that can affect one or more organs when abnormal deposits of the amyloid protein are produced. It is debilitating and life threatening. The disease meant nothing to my family weeks before we first heard the word, and then it defined the rest of our lives. It is only in the last 25 years that physicians have started to understand the disease. I have been hiking the Appalachian trail for a little more then a month. Hiking 8 to 12 hours a day, I have had plenty of time to think of my father and what kind of differences I could make in his name. I would love to make this epic adventure about more then myself. The amyloidosis foundation's mission is to increase education and awareness in hopes that it will lead to earlier diagnosis and improved treatment. My goal is to raise $1,000 in the name of my father. I have roughly 200 miles left. Just one penny per mile adds up to $20 when I complete the trail of 2,000 miles. If anybody would like to donate a small amount per every mile I complete, then I am confident that I can reach my goal. Here are the directions and the page link for the donations: Check "In memory of" and add my father's name "Dennis Blake"

Monday, April 18, 2011

Erwin to Fred Vegas?!?!

Well since my last update I've been busy. Friday night I made a last second decision to get off the trail and surprise my girlfriend for her birthday! My good friend Pete didn't hesitate when I made the late night call asking him to pick me up. He drove 400 miles in a vicious storm to pick me up outside Johnson City Saturday morning. Thru the pouring rain, pete navigated at breakneck speeds, hydroplaning across hwy. 81 numerous times, we made it to Fred Vegas just in time. To say that Jamie was surprised would be a bit of an understatement as was everyone else at the party. It felt great to see family and friends. Everyone complimented me on my rough mountain man looks. Overall, the weekend at home was fantastic despite my Capitals losing there playoff game! All agreed I must get back to the trail because I bring bad luck for the caps. Jamie dropped me off early and I should make some good miles today and be camped on top of Roan Mt. tonight. I will catch up with Sabertooth, Bluegrass, and Squirrel eventually. But Im in no hurry. Hiking alone will feel good. I will see them all this weekend when Jamie and my friend Nate pick me up outside Damascus for a little R n R....yes I know I've gotten plenty of rest but I'm in no hurry. Every successful thru hiker I've talked with has one bit of advice, "take your time, don't rush, when it's over you will wish you could go back!" So I will heed there advice and enjoy every second! Happy to be back in the mountains!

1 comment:

  1. Matt, It sounds like you are having a blast!! I love hearing about your adventures. Your Uncle Chuck and I have sent you a little surprise in this wks care pkg. We hope you enjoy. We love you and are very proud of you, keep up the good work. We will see you in Aug in ME. Bar Harbor and Acadia are beautiful. One of my favorite places. You can do it, we believe in you and here to support you the whole way. Remember, this is a once in a lifetime experience!!! I wish I had half the balls you have. Love you, Aunt Charli
    PS We had an awesome visit with your Mom!! I wish you guys would move up this way. Would love to have you close.

    ReplyDelete