Amyloidosis‏

In 2007 my father, Dennis Blake, was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, Amyloidosis. After years of battling the disease, the correct diagnosis was finally given less then a week before he passed. Amyloidosis is a rare blood disease that can affect one or more organs when abnormal deposits of the amyloid protein are produced. It is debilitating and life threatening. The disease meant nothing to my family weeks before we first heard the word, and then it defined the rest of our lives. It is only in the last 25 years that physicians have started to understand the disease. I have been hiking the Appalachian trail for a little more then a month. Hiking 8 to 12 hours a day, I have had plenty of time to think of my father and what kind of differences I could make in his name. I would love to make this epic adventure about more then myself. The amyloidosis foundation's mission is to increase education and awareness in hopes that it will lead to earlier diagnosis and improved treatment. My goal is to raise $1,000 in the name of my father. I have roughly 200 miles left. Just one penny per mile adds up to $20 when I complete the trail of 2,000 miles. If anybody would like to donate a small amount per every mile I complete, then I am confident that I can reach my goal. Here are the directions and the page link for the donations: Check "In memory of" and add my father's name "Dennis Blake"

Monday, July 4, 2011

New York



   Great hiking and good weather this week. Stayed the night in Vernon Nj at a free church hostel on Tuesday night.  A cheap breakfast at the Mixing bowl the next morning, pancakes eggs hash-browns and coffee for $2.50. Love those prices! Steep climb out of Vernon that morning and a cool breeze to greet me at the top reminded me of what I had been missing since Tennessee. The rolling hills of Virginia and the rocky, flat terrain in PA and NJ left me missing the sharp inclines of the deep south. New York has been a welcome change. Challenging climbs and rewarding views.  Crossing into New York we climbed Waywayanda mountain, Prospect rocks, agony cliffs, eastern pinnacles, and cat rocks. Lots of rock scrambles and hand over hand climbing. 
  Thursday started rough. I was hiking thru a dense meadow with 4 ft. tall grass and shrubs. The trail was barely wide enough to move thru. As I approached a stream crossing emerging from the grass i felt a sharp sting around my ankle, then another and another. It took me less then a second to realize bees were swarming my legs. I ran as fast as my legs would carry me, swatting bees off me the whole way. My hiking buddies 50 yards ahead were alarmed at first, then laughing hysterically.  The bees got me 4 good times. No worries though. 5 miles away trail angel "Patio" washed away my pain with cold beers, hotdogs garnished with bacon, and lots of good tunes. 3 hours later, with a full belly, I was hiking again. But as usual Blue, Saber, Squirrel and I got distracted. A swimming hole is always enticing and Island Pond was no different. We were joined by Akuna-Matata, Pele, Sgt. Pepper, Green Man and Vittles. The chance to knock the hiker funk off was appreciated. That evenings hike was exceptional. We trekked up and down thru wide open cove forest with tall green grass covering the forest floor. Squirrel even spotted a black bear moving thru the woods. Somehow after all the messing around we still managed to make it to camp by dark, 20 miles from where we began.  The next 40 miles across Ny included views of the distant NY city skyscrapers from Bear Mountain and crossing the mighty Hudson River.
  Yesterday we arrived at Amy and Bills house just a couple hundred yards off the trail. Every year they throw a 4th of July party for thru hikers. They are great people. Currently there are upwards of 20 hikers here and the number will continue to grow. They are feeding an army here. Amy has been cooking waffles all morning and the burgers and dogs aren't far off. I cant forget about the huge pile of beer and Ben n Jerry's ice cream either. We are all extremely thankful to celebrate this holiday here. 
Life is good! Happy independence day!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pics!! Was so good to talk to you on the 4th, I made manicotti for dinner in your honor last night, will be better when u are here to share it with :) miss and love u!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete